Verizon has released yesterday 2 OTA updates for Samsung galaxy S5 (SM-G900V), the first OTA update is Android 4.4.4 KitKat G900VVRU1ANK7 ≈ 120MB to prepare the device for the next upgrade to Lollipop, the second OTA update is much awaited Android 5.0 Lollipop G900VVRU1BOA8 ≈ 925MB.
One of the bad side in updating your device to a new update is losing the root access which is required to delete all bloatware apps on Android 5.0 Lollipop update.
In this guide we will explain to you how to keep root access for Verizon galaxy S5 on Android 5.0 Lollipop G900VVRU1BOA8 update
- Rooted Verizon galaxy S5 running on Android KitKat.
- Installed busybox.
- Safestrap installed on your device.
- G900V [OA8] stock rooted lollipop backup file, Mirror.
- G900V [OA8] partitions file, Mirror.
- USB cable and drivers, Odin3 and Windows PC.
Instructions : to keep root for Verizon galaxy S5 on Android L
- Backup your data
- Restart your device to boot into Safestrap recovery mode.
- Choose “Backup” option to backup your “Data” then “Swipe to backup” creating a backup is required to create a “backups” folder on your ext-sdcard (backup Cache partition only for it doesn’t take a long time).
- Tap “Reboot System” to reboot your device.
- Extract G900V_OA8_Stock_Rooted_Safestrap_Backup.rar file and Place the extracted folder into : ext-sdcard/TWRP/BACKUPS/c5e569b7 the name of the folder “c5e569b7″ in “BACKUPS” folder may vary.
- Restart your device one more time to boot into Safestrap recovery mode.
- Tap “Wipe” then “Advanced Wipe” and select all partitions except “Micro SDcard” partition then “Swipe to Wipe”.
- Press the “Home” button, choose “Restore” option, tap “G900_OA8_…_Backup” then “Swipe to Restore” wait until it finish.
- Back to the home screen and choose “Reboot” option to boot into “Download Mode” you can boot into download mode also by pressing and holding vol down+home+power buttons then vol up.
- Run Odin3 and place G900V_OA8_Stock_Partitions.tar.md5 in “PDA” section.
- Connect your Verizon galaxy S5 to your computer and once you see a sign in “ID:COM” click the “Start” button.
After 3 minutes your device will boot into the latest Android 5.0 Lollipop update with full root access
If your device runs hotter with severe battery drain after updating to 5.0 disabling SHealth and rebooting will fix the issue.
Last update : 19 Feb 2015