If you got Android M installed on your Nexus 6 how to install Android M developer preview on Nexus 6, and tried to root it, you will figure out every time you modify system partition by flashing Auto-Root file your device won’t boot up and stuck in bootloop or on boot animation.
We have posted a tutorial on how to root Nexus 5 on Android M by flashing modified kernel, and in this post we will show you how to root Nexus 6 on Android M developer preview using modified stock kernel thanks to “Despair” team.
- Modified stock kernel zip file, mirror.
- Nexus 6 on Android M developer preview with unlocked bootloader, check our guide on how to unlock bootloader for Nexus 6.
- Custom recovery (TWRP, CWM, Philz) installed on your device.
- UPDATE-SuperSU-vX.XX.zip file.
- Download the flashable kernel “Despair.M.Shamu.R2.X.zip” file and SuperSU “UPDATE-SuperSU-vX.XX.zip” to your device.
- Put your Nexus phone in recovery mode (turn it off, press and hold Volume down and Power key, press Volume up/down to navigate to Recovery mode then press power key to confirm), you can also check our guide on how to boot into recovery mode using adb commands.
- Press Install then navigate to the folder you place kernel zip files.
- Tap “Despair.M.Shamu.R2.X.zip” file then Swipe to Confirm Flash.
- Back to the home screen, press Install then tap “UPDATE-SuperSU-vX.XX.zip” file, then Swipe to Confirm Flash.
- Once done, Tap Reboot System to start up your device.
- Check if you have SuperSU on your device apps drawer.
To confirm rooting process and check your device if its rooted or not, download and install Root Checker App from Google Play store then tap verify root.
That is all you have successfully root your Nexus 6 on Android M developer preview, you can start modifying your device on Android M
Please note that: Despair kernel sets SE Linux to Permissive rather than enforcing. If you care about this sort of thing, don’t flash it and if you will flash it please use it at your own risk.