If you update your AT&T Samsung galaxy Note 3 SM-N900A to Android Lollipop, you will not be able to root it anymore on Lollipop mean you have to accept all Samsung and AT&T bloatware on your device, but if you can’t live without root, there is a trick which allow you to update your rooted N900A galaxy Note 3 from KitKat to Lollipop without losing root access.
This post will show you how to keep root AT&T galaxy Note 3 on Android 5.0 Lollipop N900AUCUEOC1 update, this tutorial is divided in some cases, the main instruction at the end of the post.
Case 1: Your device is running on Android 5.0 Lollipop (OC1) or Android 4.4.4 KitKat (NL1)? if Yes then continue, No then skip to the next case.
Case 1 process: Downgrading from Lollipop to Android 4.4.2 KitKat (NC2).
- Backup all your important data because downgrading process require wipe data/factory reset.
- Download and extract N900AUCUCNC2 firmware file to your computer.
- Download and unzip Odin3 tool and install Samsung USB driver.
- Put your galaxy Note 3 in download mode.
- Connect your device to PC via USB cable.
- Put the extracted FW file step 2 “N900AUCUCNC2_Full_Odin_Tar.tar” into AP button in Odin3.
- Make sure Auto Reboot and Re-Partition box are unchecked.
- Click Start button
- After it finish Odin3 will display PASS! or RESET!.
- unplug your device from the PC, take off the battery for 10 seconds, then put it back.
- Put you Note 3 in recovery mode (press and hold Vol UP+Home+Power buttons until you see in top left corner recovery booting…., now release the buttons)
- In the recovery mode screen Navigate using Vol Up/Vol Down to wipe data/factory reset, Confirm your selection by Power button, after that conform reboot system now.
Case 2: Your AT&T galaxy Note 3 is rooted and Safestrap installed? if No then continue, Yes then skip to the main process.
Case 2 process: Rooting AT&T galaxy Note 3 on Android 4.4.2 KitKat and install Safestrap.
- Download and Install towelroot apk App to your device.
- Launch towelroot App then click “make it ra1n” button, now your device is rooted.
- Go to Google Play store, search and install SuperSu App.
- Launch SuperSu App to update su binary in normal mode NOT recovery and disable KNOX.
- Back to Google Play to search and install busybox App.
- Launch busybox App, Give it the root permission by pressing Grant, then hit Install button.
- Download and install Safestrap apk App to your device.
- Open safestarp, hit Grant, then click Install Recovery.
The main process: How to update to Android Lollipop without losing root access.
- Rooted AT&T galaxy Note 3 on Android 4.4.2 KitKat and Safestrap installed.
- External SDcard installed in your device.
- N900A [OC1] stock rooted Lollipop ROM file, Mirror.
- At least 20% battery level.
- Backup your data.
- Copy the downloaded zip “SM-N900A_OC1_Lollipop_Rooted_Rom.zip” file to your external sdcard.
- Reboot into safestarp recovery mode, open safestrap App then hit reboot recovery.
- Press Wipe then Advanced Wipe, select all partitions except “Micro SDcard”.
- Press home button to back to the main screen, choose Install to install the downloaded zip step 2.
- Once it finish installing hit Reboot system.
Your device will take a little bit longer time the first time to boot.
Congratulation, now your AT&T galaxy Note 3 N900A is rooted on Android 5.0 Lollipop.
– Note that Safestrap will not function after updating to Android Lollipop.