Google released Android Marshmallow with some new features and improved user interface, but there is a new feature wasn’t announced in the keynote it’s multi-window mode.
Finally multi-window feature will be on stock Android build and it should arrive to all devices which will update to Android Marshmallow.
To get multi-window mode working you need to modify the build.prop system file to show up the feature settings in developer options.
- Download and install “ES File Explorer” App on your rooted Nexus phone, root your device on Android Marshmallow.
- Open “ES File Explorer” and press on the top left icon.
- Press Tools then choose Root Explorer.
- Hit Mount R/W, change Path “/” and “/system” from RO to RW then press OK.
- Once you press OK SuperSU will ask for root permission hit GRANT.
- Press the top left icon, hit Local then choose / Device.
- Go to: /system folder, scroll down to “build.prop” file, take a backup of that file before modifying it.
- Now open “build.prop” file as text in “ES Note Editor”.
- Press on the top right icon (3 dot) and choose Edit.
- Find the “ro.build.type=“ line.
- Change it from:
- Hit the back button then press Yes to save the file.
- Reboot your device to apply the changes.
- Go to the developer options, enable developer options by going to: Settings > About phone, tap Build number 6 times until you see “You are now a developer” hit back button to go to the main screen of settings, now you will see a new option “Developer Options” open it.
- Scroll down to “Drawing” category.
- You will find multi-window mode enable it.
How to use multi-window feature?
- Press multi tasking button a new button will appear on the top of every opened App.
- Tap the icon and select the layout (window up, windows down, full screen).
Voila, now you have multi-window working on your phone
Please note that:
– This feature is working with All Apps stock and third party Apps but you may notice some bugs as its not officially enabled by Google.
– If you are going to apply multi-window feature to your device please do it at your own risk.